Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lamp Love: Earthy Ceramics



I found this big green and gold behemoth at Kudzu in Decatur, Georgia. I'm imagining this fella weighs  50 pounds; he's made out of thick ceramic, green glazed with gold highlights. I think he was over 2 feet long total--he'd be great for the foyer of a 1960s or 1970s split- or multi-level home, as long as he was secured well so as not to squash the kiddos or the dog. I even think this lamp would look good in the right kind of modern home, if it was concentrating on high-end natural textures. I liked the hand-made clay look to it (though I am pretty sure it was commercially manufactured), the earthy colors and the sheer size of this lamp. Sometimes when I find something this wonderful while vintage shopping, it makes me want to buy it just to make sure that it finds just the right venue, just the right home for it's wonderful-ness, even if it that venue isn't with me. It's a good thing I don't have the kind of bank account where I can indulge this kind of madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment