Monday, November 12, 2012

Vintage: Old Books

Most of the time when we're talking old stuff on this blog, we're talking "old stuff," not antique stuff. This century. If you're of a certain age, "old stuff" that is as old or a little older than you, things in living memory.

Not 1892.

But this was a gift from my mom, and I just had to share it because a) it's cool, and b) the title had me right at first sight.


"Practical Lessons in the Use of English" is more of a grade school literacy textbook than a grammar, but I love the title, and think it's something more people today could use. Of course, now that I've said that, heaven help me if I split an infinitive or misspell a word in this post.

1892? Do you ever wonder how so small and defenseless an object as a child's school book makes it to be....120 years old? That blows my mind. And yet here it is, sitting in my hands.

It has lovely typography:


And evidence that one of its past owners was naughty with crayons:


And the price? 22 cents.

Old books and ephemera were my first foray into antique and vintage goods, and I have a warm place in my heart for things like this, no matter the decade. This will be joining my small collection on the shelf in the living room.






3 comments:

  1. It has such a pretty cover. I wish they still taught cursive handwriting like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some old textbooks similar to that, and I treasure them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool find. Being a teacher, I've got a big soft spot for old school books. And that cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete