Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Happy New Year to You!


I love the sentiment and sweet illustrations of this vintage postcard, and wanted to share it with my blog readers as part of the New Year's greeting.  It's from the personal collection of a friend, Joy, who is a jewelry artist from Des Moines, Iowa and who graciously granted permission to share this here. You can check out her work on her Facebook page

Joy is one of those friends I've never met in person; we got to know each other through a mutual friend via Facebook. One of the things I'm grateful for over the last year of blogging and social media is, despite all the negative things one can say about interacting on the internet (and there's a lot of that, unfortunately), there have also been a lot of wonderful, talented, and thoughtful people who've come into my life that way over the last year. It's a reminder that "community" goes beyond one's neighborhood and that worthwhile and caring people are everywhere. It's a trend I hope continues in the new year. 

The card presents an ideal of domesticity that I also find appropriate for New Year's celebration, anyway, MY New Year's celebration. I tend to ring in the New Year on my sofa with a cup of hot something, not at a swanky party, or even watching other people's swanky parties on television. In fact, I am lucky if I even make it to midnight many years. Another friend of mine, Kristy, routinely jokes about what she calls a "Nova Scotia New Year's Eve Party," which means toasting the New Year at 10 p.m. in our time zone (midnight in Nova Scotia) and heading to bed. Much more my style. 

Whatever is your style, I hope you are ringing in the New Year on the note that is just right for you, whether it's with friends or family, at a party or in quiet contemplation. Happy New Year to you! 

4 comments:

  1. I celebrate the same way. I love your blog and the progress you are making on your house. I wish you a blessed and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. Hope you have a great New Year too!

      Delete