Thursday, June 29, 2017

Doorstep Gets a Front Door Facelift

Readers may remember that some summers ago my Dad swooped in like a hero and helped me get the front of the house painted. 


At that time, one of the things that went undone was the front door. I'd intended to follow up almost immediately painting it, but between the fact the weather never seemed right any weekend I wanted to work on it, and well, just life in general, it remained the weird brownish-mauve color, with peeling layers down to white. It was not a pretty thing. 

Later on, once upon a Thanksgiving, I painted the inside of the door, pictured here, and fell in love with the color. That's Valspar Cinnamon Cake: 


It's a warm, spicy, pumpkin-y color. This year, finally, as Tom has helped get the rest of the exterior house painting done, I tackled the front door on nice weather weekends in little half-hour increments. 


Charming. Also, pay no attention to the ripped linoleum floor. Usually that's covered up by an area rug, and is a home-improvement tragedy for another blog post.

The risk for irritation painting doors while they are still hung is high. Especially a door that's heavily used. And of course my children, who leave doors hanging open as a matter of maddening habit, are now slamming it shut religiously, simply because you've got wet/tacky paint on it. Of course.

Here it is, almost finished with the prime coat. I scraped the big chunks, leveled with wood filler, caulked gaps, and sanded before priming. I'm pretty sure this is the original door, and while I like it, it's been used pretty hard and is about at the end of its life, including the hardware. The budget being what it is, though, we decided we'd throw a fresh coat of paint on it to see if we couldn't get another year or two out of it before taking the plunge on a replacement door and screen door.


Here's the finished product. I spray-painted the door-knocker black to coordinate with the light fixture, mailbox, and address plaque.



I love, love, LOVE how this color coordinates with the sage-y, olive-y green of the siding paint. I still need to paint the threshold trim the dark green color that you see on the awning trim, but the improvement has been so vast I'm kicking myself for not having done this sooner. It's made all the difference in the world.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! That color is the color our door was supposed to be. But I goofed up the paint names and it's kinda gold instead. Oh well. A guy who came door to door trying to sell me bug spraying services asked if I am an artist because of the door color. Hah! Anyway, know what you mean about the kicking yourself. I've felt that way about more than a few projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your kinda gold door too, though. I like how earth/warm colors can either be exciting or soothing depending on how you use them. Maybe that's why I keep returning to them to go along with my favorite greens.

      Delete
  2. Love the color - was considering a pumpkin door for my house, then went with my favorite periwinkle. I also love the pot of flowers next to the orange door.
    It is amazing what a difference a colorful front door makes - I smile every time I come home.

    ReplyDelete