Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Purty Dishes

The farm women in my family (and two or three generations ago, that was all of them) didn't like to serve from the stove. Those vegetables weren't properly taken care of until (slathered with butter and) put on the table in a "purty dish."

I have become one of them, though I haven't yet adopted their cotton print house dresses or beaded hairnets (but give me time). I can't pass by a single yard sale table or antique store display case if it's got a few "purty dishes."

It would be helpful both to my personal budget, my sanity, and my storage space if I had just the ONE thing. You know those women. My Great Aunt Ruby collected Francisan Apple.  I know someone whose grandmother gave her a complete set of Johnson Bros. Friendly Village, right down to the gravy boat and covered butter dish. But me, I like to mix it up quite a bit. Okay, a lot a bit. You put it all together, and it looks like you're being entertained at a potluck by a hoarder. Oh. Um..... yeah.

My Pinterest board of the same title displays this brand of crazy pretty well. There's no unifying color, theme, or time period. And this is just easy and fancy pickins from Etsy. Throw some church rummage sales in there, and there's no telling where I'll end up.

Try these: 

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest


Or this:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest


Or this:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest


With a few of these:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest

With drinks in a few of these:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest

Dish the food onto this:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest

Or this:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest

Try some of these for fun:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest


Or these for beauty:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest


Have your after dinner coffee in this:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest


Mind you, I'm not disputing my TASTE. I think it's excellent, thank you very much. I just lack consistency. Color coordination. Restraint. A good sense of when a lot of pressed glass becomes too much. A local and active support group.

Two things I do know: I am always prepared to serve cake and iced tea. When I pass, I will leave behind an AWESOME estate sale. Both these things make me feel smug.












4 comments:

  1. Oohwhee! I'm the same way! There are too many beautiful patterns out there not to snatch up one or two when you see them by themselves. I have one bowl in that chicken pattern there at the beginning and I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know.....the "dish disease", I've got it and I've got it bad!!!! :) Help!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for purty dishes, too, though I tend to go for blue and white. (Love those cups in the second to last picture, and also that striped bowl!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be a genetic thing. I have more purty dishes than I'll probably ever use.

    ReplyDelete