Monday, July 16, 2012

Air-cooled Housekeeping


At some point in the last week I got tired of exploring the endless varieties of pasta salad and cole slaw. Tired of gaging how many more times I could serve chef salad to the crew without open rebellion (mine and theirs. I hate washing lettuce). Tired of nothing but popsicles and rice krispie treats, our go-to no cook desserts.

Sunday morning I cranked the air-conditioner down five degrees, tied on an apron (in fact, the one I wrote about here), and got my Becky Home-ecky on. By afternoon, I had a peach-almond pound cake, and a pan of brownies for lunch boxes out of the oven. I also whipped a batch of beer-wheat pizza dough, and baked us up some homemade pizzas for Sunday supper.

While I was at it, I picked up clutter, dusted, vacuumed, ran the dishwasher, the washer, and--don't tell the power company-- the dryer, which I have been trying to avoid running except at night. To hell with it. I'm feeding my family and cleaning this house in the comfort of the second greatest invention of the 20th century (the first one was antibiotics). We'll return to more sensible appliance use and conserve the air conditioning when we go back to work and activities today.

The cake plate with aluminum lid and the flour sack dishtowel are from my personal collection. And you can head on over to Taste of Home's website for their peach pound cake recipe.


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds like a great use of electricity to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! You go girl...all that cookin'! I think I need me a piece of that pound cake STAT! :)

    ReplyDelete