Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Southern Road Trip: Arkansas


This week I'll be moseying on south to Missouri and Arkansas, two of my favorite places in the world. I'll be meeting up with my Dad and sister, Dyan, to do some family history work that requires hiking boots. My family has a cemetery in the Hurricane Creek Wilderness area of the Ozark National Forest. That's a stretch of Hurricane Creek, above. I've said it before, but to say my people liked to live pretty deep in the holler is a bit of an understatement. They were mountain people, and preferred the remote places in this rocky land. The cemetery is accessible only on foot. Maybe mule back, too, the mode of transportation a century ago.

It will also involve coffee, biscuits, and gravy, of that I can be sure.

I'll have a special post up in my absence, so that you get the feel of this beautiful place and its special (to me) history.


No comments:

Post a Comment