Saturday, February 18, 2012

Armchair Daydreaming: Vintage Upholstery

I'm having fun tonight daydreaming about new (old) armchairs. I've got an outdoor wicker armchair standing in for a proper one in my living room. It doesn't look bad, but I'd like it to move out to join its partner on the screen porch someday. As I shop around I wonder if like the simpler lines and more horizontal build of chairs from the 1940s and 1950s:

Source: etsy.com via Laura on Pinterest


Or if I prefer the more traditional styles and homey feel of tufted back chairs from the 1930s:

Source: ebay.com via Laura on Pinterest

Those chairs remind me of the illustrator Mary Englebreit, and I suppose that's no surprise, since she took her inspiration from children's book illustrations and postcards of the 1920s and 1930s.

Either way, I'd probably reupholster in an apple green with brown cording, and plenty of very modern stain-proofing for the boys.

Here's the link to my Pinterest board. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment